Monday, May 28, 2012

My Biggest Winner: Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels is who I can call a phenomenal woman role model. She has set the bar high when it comes to the fitness industry. Modest and beautiful, this fitness figure has probably helped more people than she could have ever imagined. From being a personal trainer, owning her own gym to producing her own DVDs and books and becoming a star on hit TV shows like: Biggest Loser, Losing it With Jillian and The Doctors.

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels

It had all started in grade 8, when she was repeatedly bullied for her 5’2 stature and 175 pound-round body. She was teased so much that her parents took action sending her to another school; however this wasn’t enough to erase the nightmares. She was tormented, scared, and like most Americans; embarrassed. Bear it no more, she decided to fight back and get into martial arts classes where she learned to take out the pain and gained her self image respect for no one else but herself.


It all starts in childhood where influences for our future begin, and for some it can be monumental. Like Jillian, I too had an eating disorder, unlike hers though mine was not at looking at food for comfort, mine was in fact the opposing-yet just as dangerous side. At the young age of 13, I had the mentality of a depressed obese girl, even though I wasn’t. Standing at 5’4 and a lanky 80 pounds, my body was imperfect, and in every way I hated myself. It had taken me 9 months and gallons of water to get where I wanted to be or at least where my body allowed me to be; stick and bones. I had lost my menstrual cycle, my breasts, and a lot of respect from my friends and family.


My parents of course were concerned from day one, when they noticed I had cut short of my pickings at the dinner table, and watched me progress into what they had thought was just a small phase. They blamed the media for my eating disorder-Anorexia, the reasoning for why many kids are influenced to go to extremities; the super-skinny super-models, and its true. To this day we still strive to look like them. If they can wear clothes like that, get guys like that, and hey make money like that, then why cant I? It just takes miniscule amounts of food and complete disgust towards your physical appearance, nothing of which anyone, especially a young teen should go through.


After many efforts of their own, my parents forced me to go to the doctor. Trying not just once but numerous times, but it was until one visit that changed my life. I had seen a new doctor, no one special really, he was average; spoke minimal and got us out quick, however he did something slightly different. This time he told me the opposite, his words were that I was normal; just like the others in my grade, and was sitting just below the underweight line on the BMI charts. This for some reason struck me as bogus, I knew I wasn't like the rest of the kids in my grade. Ignoring my friends and family had stopped. I began remembering the comments and stares that I repeatedly received everyday. My epiphany was that I was fighting for the wrong reasons- fighting to be unhealthy. I began to eat more and cared about food, which has lead me to be the person I am today; finding equilibrium in challenges of mental and physical health.


Now, Jillian Michaels may have a different story, but we both fought for our health back. I aspire to be like her everyday, and hope that I too can be an influence to all ages and sizes. She is now enjoying life continuing on The Doctors TV show and still produces books, DVD’s and has now been on the cover of just about every health magazine out there as one of the most respected-hard working role models of the century.